Publishing a News Feed
Publishing a newsfeed or a website lets you make content on your website available to other websites. This content is different from syndicated content in that it only includes links back to the original content. Syndicated content can be exported to another website and displayed as if the content were entered directly into that website. News feeds always include links back to the original website.
Once you publish a newsfeed for a module, you can provide the URL to other websites, which they can use to import the content. This published news feed is formatted as RSS XML and can be used by any website.
To publish a news feed, take the following steps:
- Create the content in the appropriate module if it is not already created. If you have not added the content, you should create the categories in the module that you will publish.
- Click the News Feeds module.
- Click the Publish RSS tab.
- Click the Publish a New RSS Feed button.
- In the Name field, enter a unique name for the newsfeed. Note that this name is only used in the Blue interface to organize newsfeeds.
- In the Description field, enter a brief description of the newsfeeds.
- From the Source Module dropdown list, select the module and category of content you want to publish. Note that you can only export one category of content per newsfeed.
- Enter the appropriate header information for the newsfeed.
- From the Character Encoding dropdown list, select the character coding that the newsfeed will use.
- Specify whether HTML tags will be removed from the published content or not.
- In the Maximum Items field, enter the number of items that you want to publish each time another website requests an update.
- From the Active dropdown list, select Yes. Only newsfeeds that have an activation status of Yes can be imported to other websites.
- Click the Save Changes button to publish the new newsfeed.
- From the Publish RSS tab, click the link name for the newsfeed and record the URL link for the newsfeed. This is the URL you provide to other websites that will allow them to import the newsfeed from your website. The format for this URL is usually the following format where newsfeed_name is the name of the newsfeed you entered in step 4: