Retrying a declined payment
When you process payments in the payment gateway, payments may be declined for a variety of reasons, such as an incorrect credit card number of an expired credit card. To help you reconcile a declined payment, you can retry it.
To retry a declined payment, take the following steps:
- Open the Declined tab
- Click the Retry link next to the customer whose payment you'd like to retry. The details of the payment appear, including any information returned by the payment gateway as to why the payment was declined.
- Review the reason for the declined payment, and attempt to collect the problem.
- If the problem is simply a wrong credit card number of expired credit card, you can contact the customer and update the credit card information.
- Once you have corrected the issue, you can click the Save and Retry button. This saves any changes made to the information, and tries to process the payment again.
- If the payment is processed successfully, the payment moves to the History subtab. If the payment is declined again, it remains on the Declined subtab.
- If the payment is still declined, you can manually process the payment for the customer by entering an alternate form of payment or updating the information to reflect that a payment has been made, then edit the order on the Declined tab to approve, delete, or move the order.