Adding directory items with commerce information
Once the system administrator has set up the Commerce module and a corresponding directory, you may add items to the directory and enter commerce-related information for each item. Note that if the website is using specially formatted forms for commerce in the Forms module, this step may be skipped, and you may continue by entering tax rates for states.
To add a new item with commerce information:
- Click on the module that corresponds with the directory. This module will be named by the system administrator, and is often called "Products."
- Click on the Add a New Item button at the top of the screen.
- Enter the Name and Category of the item, and whether the item should be visible on the live site.
- In the Item Information section, enter an item description and select whether tax will be applied to an item or item options will be used. If you choose to use item options, a new field will appear. Note that you can add a maximum of three options per item.
- If you do not want to track the inventory of an item, check the Do Not Track Inventory checkbox. Otherwise, inventory will be automatically tracked by the system.
- If you would like to moderate low inventory at a certain number of units, enter the number of units in the field Low Inventory At.
- Choose a low inventory action from the two checkboxes: Do not allow checkout when inventory is low, or notify administrator when inventory is low. The second option will send an email to an address entered by system administrator, notifying you of low inventory.
- Meta info may be entered to help search engines identify the item. Multiple keywords may be entered, with commas in between each keyword. A longer description of several sentences may be added as well.
- Click Apply to save the item.
- Select on the SKU subtab and click on the Add a New SKU button. Enter a unique SKU in the corresponding field. Note that this is required to identify individual products, and that each item must have a completely unique SKU.
- Fill out the rest of the item information as needed, including the item status (normal, backordered, or discontinued), cycles, and the number of items on-hand. Note that a value of -1 in the Cycles field denotes an unlimited number of cycles. If the item is backordered, select a date from the calendar until which the item can be backordered.
- Click Save.