Creating and sending an email campaign
Email campaigns allow you to create and mail a message to email categories. Campaigns may be sent repeatedly, mailed separately to different lists, or edited and reused in the future.
To create an email campaign:
- Click on the Add a New Campaign button in the Campaign tab of the Email Marketing module.
- In the Campaign Name field, enter a unique and descriptive name for the campaign. This name will not appear in the email message that is sent. The default setting will include the date and time the campaign was added.
- Select the mailing frequency for the email campaign. Options include hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, or manually. The default setting is Manual.
- In the From Email field, enter the address that will appear in the From field of the delivered email message. Note that this name is typically that of the contact person. If the message is sent to a large group of addresses, it may be wise to use a generic address, such as firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- In the From Name field, enter the name of the person or organization sending the email. If this field is left blank, the email will show "(none)" as the name of the sender.
- In the Subject field, enter the subject line of the email. If this field is left blank, the email will show "(none)" as the subject of the email.
- From the Email Template dropdown, select a template to wrap the campaign content. New templates may be created or downloaded in the Templates tab of the module.
- In the HTML Email Content field, click Edit to enter the email message on the following page. The email message may be entered using the text editor, or by entering HTML content directly through the HTML subtab. Select Preview to view the entered content. Once the message is complete, click Save.
- In the Text field, users may enter a text-only version of the email for recipients. If left blank, a text-only version of the email will be created automatically from the HTML version.
- In the Distribution List field, click on the Subscribers, Forms, and Membership categories to be included in the email mailing. By clicking the Edit Conditions button below, mailing selections may be further refined within individual categories. For information on creating Membership Distribution Lists, see the Membership module. In the Send field below, the system displays the total number of email messages that will be sent. The number of email messages that are sent out is determined by excluding the email addresses that have a status of invalid, pending, opted out, or those from different lists which are duplicates.
- To test the campaign, select Send a test email of this campaign in the Send field and enter an email address. After viewing the sent test email, adjust as necessary. When the content of the email is finalized, set when the campaign will be sent to the subscribers.
- To distribute the campaign at a scheduled time, select Send campaign on in the Send field. Enter the date for mailing in MM/DD/YYYY format, or click the Calendar button and select the date from the pop-up calendar. After selecting the date, enter the time and select am or pm, then click Save. (Please note, if you leave the time field blank, the system will send the campaign at midnight on the date selected. When setting the mailing time for a campaign, refer to the current website time in the bar above. The email will be sent at website time, which may not correspond to the user's local time.) Once the campaign is saved, the email will automatically be sent at the specified time.
- To distribute the campaign immediately, select Send this campaign now and click Save. The system will ask for confirmation of any campaigns sent immediately; confirm by clicking OK. To view or cancel a campaign as it is in progress, click on the Pipeline subtab under the Campaign tab.
After any campaign is scheduled to be sent, it can viewed, edited, or canceled in the Pipeline subtab of the Campaigns tab. If a campaign has already been sent, the results of the mailing may be viewed in the History subtab of the Campaigns tab.