Synchronizing to a Google calendar
The Google module lets you synchronize the Events module with Google Calendars. Before this can take place, you must make sure that the Events module has been turned on for your website, and that you have Google Calendars set up.
To synchronize calendars:
- Click on the Calendar tab.
- Click the Setup Login button. A popup will appear, prompting you for your Google Calendar email address and password. If you don't have this information, contact your system administrator.
- Click the OK button to return to the previous screen. A list of all of the categories from the Events module appears here.
- Click the Edit link next to the events category you'd like to synchronize.
- On the new screen, you can select a calendar, select how often you'd like it to sync, and in what direction you'd like to sync. To send events from the Events module to Google Calendars, select To Google. To receive events from Google Calendars, select From Google.
- Make sure the Active selector is set to Yes or you won't be able to synchronize.
- To synchronize manually, check the Synchronize Now Checkbox. Note that Manual must also be selected from the Frequency dropdown list. If automatic synchronization is selected, leave this box unchecked.
- Click the Save button. You will be returned to the main screen. If you set up manual synchronization and checked the box, synchronization will have taken place. Otherwise, calendars will begin synchronizing at the determined in the Edit screen.
Important note: Synchronization to Google is more of a "push" mechanism than a true synchronization; If you are syncing events to Google and you change either the event's title or start date, a new event will be created in Google. In other words, if you need to change either of these fields for an event, after the sync you'll have to log into your Google Calendar directly and delete the old event, which will still appear.