Adding a new menu item
Apr 20, 2014 9:43 pm
To add a new menu item, take the following steps:
- From the menus dropdown list in the upper lefthand corner of the Menus module screen, select the menu that you want to add items to. The items that are currently in the menu will appear.
- Click on the Add a New Menu Item button at the top of the screen.
- From the Parent Folder dropdown list, select which menu item the new item should be listed under. If the item should appear on the first level of the menu, select that option from the list. If the menu should appear as a submenu under another menu item, select the folder name of the menu item the selected menu item should be listed under.
- In the Item Title field, enter the text you want the visitor to see when he or she clicks on the menu item to navigate to a part of the site. Be sure that this title is descriptive and fits within the width of the menu on the site. If you are linking to a webpage or form, it is best practice to use the name of the page or form as the menu item title for consistency and to avoid confusion.
- If you want to display a picture for the menu item instead of the text in the Item Title field, enter the location and file name of the picture you want to use in the Graphic field. For example, to use a file you've uploaded to the File Manager, you would enter the following format for the picture: clientuploads/mypicture_on.gif. To add graphics to a menu, the site must be set up to use a menu with graphics, and this is done through the Green interface. If the menu is not set up to use graphics, a graphic will not appear for the menu item even if you enter the graphic location in the Graphic field. For more information on including graphics in a menu, contact your system administrator.
- To make the new menu item visible on the live site when you save it, click on the Hide Menu Item checkbox so the checkmark is cleared from the box. If the Hide Menu Item checkbox is selected, the menu item will not be visible on the live site.
- Click on the Wizard button. A pop-up window will appear.
- Use the link wizard to specify what the menu item should link to. When you finish creating the link, the first link field will display a brief description of what the menu item links to. The second link field will display the actual HTML the system uses for the link. Example 1: To have the menu item navigate to a webpage on your site, select Web Pages from the module dropdown list and select a webpage from the list that appears. Example 2: To have the menu item navigate to a page that lists all the events that have been entered in the Events module, select Events from the module dropdown list and, from the second page of link options, select either the All Items option or the category you'd like to target. In this example, the menu item navigates to a page that is automatically created by the system.
- Click the Save Menu Item button when you are finished entering the new item's information. The menu item will appear in the list on the lefthand side of the screen, as well as on the live site.